Internships are an arousing time in your academic career, and it’s within your power to ensure you have an amazing experience. An internship can be a really great opportunity to get a taste of the real world and help steer you in the right direction towards your career. As an intern, I’ve learned a lot of lessons that may be valuable for you also. These are some do’s and don’ts while on an intern.
- First of all do attempt to complete an internship during your college career, internships are to give you a better idea of what you might want to do as a career.
- Do ask tons of questions, going into your internship, you probably don’t have a lot of experience and that’s okay, that’s what internships are for. It’s important to ask tons of questions to get familiar with your work. You might make a few mistakes before you get the hang of things, so just remember to ask lots of question and even take some notes.
- Do be friendly and try to talk to everyone, as an intern it’s important that you’re friendly and try to get to know your co-workers. After all,networkingis one of the best parts of having an internship. Some great ways to get to know people is sitting with different groups at lunch. Take the time to network and make connections because you may find yourself using these contacts after your internship is over!
- Don’t be a know-it-all, as an intern, people already assume you’re there to learn from them. It’s important you don’t walk in and act like you know everything. Instead, take the time to learn from your co-workers and keep an open mind. The best way to make an impact is to listen to others and figure out what you can do to improve yourself.
- Don’t ever burn any bridges. Even if your intern experience isn’t what you hoped it to be, the contacts that you make may come in handy in the future.
- Don’t overstep any boundaries. Keep in mind that you are an intern and your ultimate goal is to learn and provide as much value as possible.
- Don’t forget to take every chance to shine and stand out. That way, if there’s a job opening in the future, you might be the first person that comes to mind!
Indore Institute of Law