About the Organization
The LawTree Club is an open-access student-run publishing house, which is established with the objective of creating a platform to emphasize the legal issues through the prism of social sciences and political science. This publication house publishes original work of students and scholars on the fields of law, social science as well as political science which are evaluated on the basis of quality and methodology of research work. LawTree Club has currently been ranked 15th amongst the Top Law Blogs in India. Thus, this platform aims at creating a set of legal knowledge for the viewers and offers an excellent experience at legal writing.
About the Competition
The conventional debate competition shall consist of two rounds Preliminary round (Qualifiers) and the Final round.
ROUND ONE: THE QUALIFYING ROUND: The themes for the qualifying preliminary round are:
- Was Lockdown a preferable decision. – Comment.
- Is media over – exercising its liberty.
- Population bomb : A cause of India’s Shrinking GDP.
- Should police be allowed to use lethal force.
- Participation is on an individual basis. He/she shall prepare for both the sides- “for” and “against the motion”.
Exact theme ( one from the above given four themes) on which debater had to speak would be informed to him/her on the night of 10thOctober 2020.
The respective choice of motion would be decided by a “draw of lots” at the beginning of the preliminary round, wherein the debater shall be informed about his/her side.
- Each participant shall get a maximum time of 3 minutes wherein he/she shall establish the constructive supporting the argument. A warning bell would be rung at 2 minutes and 30 seconds. The debater shall conclude his/her arguments in the last minute after the warning bell. Failure to complete within the stipulated time would lead to a deduction in scores.
ROUND TWO: THE FINAL ROUND
- The number of participants qualifying for the final round would be decided by the organizing committee on the recommendation of a panel of judges based on the ratio of total participants, that would be intimated after the closure of registration. The topic(s) for the final round shall not be disclosed earlier and shall be declared through “draw of chits” at the time of the finale.
- Every finalist shall get five (5) minutes preparation time immediately after drawing of chits.
- In the Final round, each speaker shall speak both- for and against the motion.
- The speaker shall get the max time of 2 minutes to speak for the motion and 2 minutes to speak against the motion. Warning bell to change the side shall be rung after the first two minutes of the speech.
- After each debate, the debater will answer one question from the audience and two questions from the panel of judges. A maximum of two-three questions is allowed. Cross-questions from the audience are not allowed.
- The debate will be evaluated solely by the Panel of Judges and the decision of the panel would be final and binding to all and no correspondence in this regard will be entertained.
- The language of the debate competition shall be English & Hindi only.
The participants will be graded on the following:-
|2||Manner (Articulation, voice modulation, body language)||30|
|3||Method (Organization, clarity, time limit and 20 presentation)||20|
Date , Fees & Registration
Date of the Competition – 11th&12thof October 2020. Last Date of Registration – 8thof October 2020.
Registration Fee – 70 INR ( for Indian participants ) / $2 ( For international participants ) Registration Link – https://forms.gle/yze9iVmu2GaBhMNL8
For any enquiry of the same please feel free to reach us at :-
Mob. No. – (+91) 9471214118 / 9264998091
Website – www.lawtreeclub.com
Or just drop a message at any of our social media handles.
- Best Speaker – Cash Reward of 800 INR
- Emerging Speaker – Cash Reward of 600 INR
- Best Interjector – Cash Reward of 400 INR
- An E-Certificate of appreciation to all the participants.